The NSW Government is offering a one-off $10, 000 small business northern flood grant to small businesses or not-for-profit organisation’s impacted by floods and storms in February and March 2022.
Applications are now open and will close on 31 July 2022.
Your not- for- profit organisation or small business must be located in the following Northern NSW Local Government areas, including:
- Clarence Valley
- Richmond Valley
- Tweed Shire.
During your immediate recovery period, the grant will be able to help pay for your business operating costs including wages, salaries, legal and financial services, marketing, utilities, perishables, rent and other business expenses.
Note: Please consider your options carefully, you may not be eligible to receive this grant if you have applied to the either the February and March 2022 storm and flood disaster recovery small business grant, Northern Rivers medium-sized business grant, Primary producer special disaster grant or Rural Landholders grant.
You must meet the below criteria, including:
- an active ABN (on or before 1 January 2021).
- registration with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (if you are charity).
- at least $75,000 in GST turnover in the financial year ended 30 June 2021 or 30 June 2020.
- an aggregated annual turnover of between $75,000 and $10 million (inclusive) for the financial year ended 30 June 2021 or 30 June 2020.
- a decline in turnover of 40% or more due to the impacts of flooding during the entire month of March 2022 compared to the entire month of March 2021 or March 2020, and
- intention to re-establish operations or continue operating within the highly impacted Northern Rivers LGAs.
You may also be eligible if:
- your business operates in an eligible LGA but your ABN is registered at an address outside these areas.
- your new business was not operating on 1 January 2021.
- you are a sole trader impacted by sickness, injury or leave.
See more information about alternative circumstances in which a business may be eligible.
If you fulfil the above criteria and you’re a business with no employees, you are eligible to apply if you can show that you derive more than 50% of your total income from the small business. Please note: You can only claim a grant for one of the business, if you have more than one non-employing business.
Your business is not eligible for this grant if your business’ decline in turnover is for reasons other than flooding, such as seasonal variations, closing for holidays or renovations, you’re a government agency, local government, bank, university or similar entity or you derive more than 50% of your earnings from passive income, such as rents, interest or dividends.
See the full list of ineligible businesses.
If you need assistance, please call 13 77 88.
To apply, you must submit the following details including:
- your valid ABN/ACN details.
- evidence of your non-profit status (if applicable).
- your business banking details for payment.
- a MyServiceNSW Account – you can create one when you start your application.
- your proof of identity.
In addition, you’ll need to
- submit an Australian income tax return for the year ended 30 June 2020 or 30 June 2021 (whichever is most recently lodged), with tax file number redacted.
- submit a prepared letter from a qualified accountant, registered tax agent or registered BAS agent, confirming a decline in turnover of 40% or more (during the month of March 2022, compared to March 2020 or 2021).
- declare that the business derived more than $75,000 in turnover and was physically located or operating in one of the eligible LGAs in the same year as the Australian income tax return submitted to demonstrate aggregated annual turnover.
- provide other supporting documents to demonstrate your eligibility.
Remember to keep all documentary evidence related to your application for 2 years after the application closing date, in case you are audited in the future.
How to Apply
To apply, click on the following LINK https://mybusiness.service.nsw.gov.au/rebate/northern-rivers-flood-grant/ready-to-start and log in, or create your MyServiceNSW Account. Follow the prompts to apply for the $10,000 small business northern flood grant.
If your application is approved, Service NSW will transfer the funds within 5 business days from the approval date.
Please call 13 77 88, if you’re not able to apply online.
(Services NSW, 2022)
Updated: 3rd May 2022